Certified Crane Care Tech Tips: Preparing Your Equipment for Shut Down and Outage Season
It's the most wonderful time of the year. Each year around this time companies close their doors for maintenance, repair and preparation for the new year. Many industrial stalwarts like paper mills, chemical and power plants are preparing for the outage aka shut downs.
Hoists and cranes will be used during this time to maintain the machines that make our lives run smooth each day. Here is a list of things to do based on OSHA 1910.179 in preparation for your shut downs and outages.
- Identify and invest in designated personnel up to date on NCCCO, OSHA and ANSI standards for overhead crane and hoist operations to perform pre-shutdown or outage operations
- Visually examine the sheaves, drums, and wheels for wear and tear
- Thorough visual examination of the hoist cable or chain for kinking, crushing, cutting, or corrosion.
- Thorough visual and manual inspection for wear and corrosion of the end stops, bumpers, and rail sweeps.
- Check the hoist, trolley, and crane control units for proper operation.
- Examine the hooks for wear, bends, and cracks.
- Insure all OSHA required safety devices are present.
- Inspect and test safety devices such as lights, horn, and limit switches.
- Examine the condition of the pendant station
- Within practicable reason set movement of each controller handle in the same general direction as the resultant movements of the load
- Confirm push buttons return to “off” position when pressure is released by the crane operator
- Check for (and repair) any broken parts or molten metal in danger of falling during crane operation
- Check to make sure that fail-safes are still in working order in case of malfunction
- Do a physical check to ensure that all brakes are operating inside of OSHA 1910.179 standards
- Be sure to have all manuals, inspection guidelines and literature related to the crane affixed to the equipment based on OSHA requirements
Certified Crane Care is here to help you with your overhead crane and hoist. Our expertise includes Fall Protection training, inspections, repairs, modifications and modernization to help your company meet and exceed your safe operation needs.