Certified Crane Care Tech Tip: Working in Harsh Conditions
Working in a Winter Wonderland is a lot less appealing and magical than it appears. Construction, utility and factory workers face a great challenge during the winter months to dress for function and safety. Many job duties require use of the extremities most likely to freeze or be impacted by frostbite.
Here is list of ways to protect yourself against the harsh elements without sacrificing the ability to perform the functions of your position:
- Identify dangerous environmental and workplace conditions.
- Learn the signs and symptoms of cold related illnesses.
- Take frequent short breaks in dry warm shelters.
- Try to schedule work during the warmest part of the day.
- Get plenty of sleep to combat fatigue and exhaustion due to the energy required to stay warm.
- Eat warm, high calorie energy building foods like hot pasta dishes.
- Cold air is dry which can cause loss of fluid. Drink lots of water to stay hydrated.
- Wear three layers of clothing to retain body heat
Cold Stress related symptoms:
- Heavy shivering
- Uncomfortable coldness
- Severe fatigue
Working with a partner helps prevent severe cold stress illnesses when you both know the symptoms and monitor each other throughout the day.
Stay warm during the remainder of this winter season while working in harsh conditions.
Certified Crane Care is here to help you with your overhead crane and hoist. Our expertise includes Fall Protection training, inspections, repairs, modifications and modernization to help your company meet and exceed your safe operation needs.